Step 1 - Do your research before bidding.
Before bidding, you need to make sure that the vehicle you're interested in is able to be legally imported into Canada. Import regulations state that any vehicle admitted into Canada must meet Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS). The vehicle may not be modified or altered from it's original design.
  • If the vehicle you're interested in is older than 15 years old, it is exempt from import regulations. Please see the Canada Border Services Agency for more information.
  • If the vehicle you're interested is less than 15 years old, check with Transport Canada or the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. 
You'll also need to confirm that the ownership paperwork available for the vehicle is able to licensed in Canada. Each auction on our website provides a description of the ownership paperwork available for the vehicle. You can find this information in the Lot Details box:

Generally, vehicles with salvage titles may only be licensed after they've been repaired and have passed a structural integrity inspection administered by a provincial licensing body. Vehicles with a non-repairable salvage title may never be licensed in Canada and may only be used for parts or scrap.
Please note: any vehicle you'd like to import into Canada must have a title. Some vehicles are sold with a Purchase Agreement document only.  These vehicles may not be able to be imported. If the Purchase Agreement Documents are the only document available, it'll be listed as the Title Type in the auction's Lot Details.
To find more information about exporting vehicles out of the US and importing vehicles into Canada, please  review the US Customs Requirements and the CBSA entry requirements.
Step 2 - Importing and shipping your vehicle.
Once you've done your research and purchased a vehicle, you can use this handy tool on the Registrar of Imported Vehicles website to view and print out a checklist with step-by-step import instructions.
You'll need to notify US Customs at least 72 hours before your vehicle leaves the country. If you're importing a vehicle you plan to have licensed, you'll also need to complete and provide a Vehicle Import Form. If you're importing a vehicle you'd like to use for parts, you'll need to  complete and provide a Vehicle Imported for Parts form. 
Your title or ownership paperwork will be mailed from the Copart facility to our office after you've paid for your vehicle.  When we have the title, we'll reassign it into your name. Once reassignment is complete, we'll send the title to you. You can also choose to have your title sent directly to US Customs.
Once you've notified customs, completed the appropriate customs form, and obtained your title, you're ready to bring your car to the border.
Don't have a way to get your car to the border? Ship with AutoBidMaster!
  • Delivery to the border.
AutoBidMaster will deliver the car to the closest US/Canadian border. You can either meet the delivery driver at an area business to pick up yourvehicle, or you can have your vehicle delivered to one of our partner warehouses and pick it up there. You'll still need to bring the car to the border and take it through Customs.
  • Delivery to a bonded warehouse in Canada.
AutoBidMaster will arrange delivery to a bonded warehouse in Canada where you can pick up your vehicle and take care of customs, taxes, and warehouse fees.
Step 3 - Licensing your vehicle in Canada.
After your vehicle enters Canada, you'll need to have it repaired (if necessary) and inspected at an authorized Registrar of Imported Vehicles inspection center prior to licensing. Please see the After Vehicle Entry page on the RIV website for more information about post import procedures.